So long, September.

A few years back friends and I used to dub September as "Not-Sober-September". Those days are long gone, and my liver thanks me for that.

What a fast month this has been! I'd like to think the reason why it flew by was because I was SO EXCITED to go back home to Victoria for a weekend. Bear and I hopped over to celebrate my nephew's first birthday.

Such a fast trip with so many good times. Friday: we started the night out having dinner with my parents at The Keg. Now, every Friday we go for steak with friends at a local lounge/restaurant. Those steak nights have been forever ruined, at least, until the buttery flavour of the sirloin at The Keg vanishes from memory. That was a good steak. Meatatarian here! Wait, isn't that just saying I'm a carnivore? I like meatatarian... I was glad to see my parents and be able to see their new house too. They recently moved back to the island from mainland BC. Although it is not as far, we shared similar longings for the island for a brief time. After steak and some delicious blackberry martoooonies Bear and I headed to my most favourite pub in Victoria: Darcy's Pub. The same band has been playing there for years and I wish it will never change. I love that bar.  Oh no, do I sound like Toby "Dbag" Keith? Many nights, especially in Not-Sober-September, I have spent in Darcy's dancing my post-secondary education woes away. Their Lynchburg Lemonades are killer too. I'm not a Jack Daniel's kind of girl, but when those drinks are a-flowin, I'm on the JD train. TOOOT TOOOOOOOOT! Not only did I get to see my fave bar badn, I got to see many lovely friends too! Oh, to be silly again! The lemonades certainly helped! We danced, we drank, we got late-night pizza... ah, Victoria, I love thee.


Saturday, Bear and I ventured to see my friend's new house and their adooorrrrable baby. She took quite a liking to Bear... it was super cute to watch. H is so unbelievable. She is content at least when we were there! and did not seem to mind me, strange Auntie, carting her around like new bag. I didn't want to put her down! After our visit, we headed for birthday party headquarters to help set up for the next day. Here, Bear got suckered into babysitting my 4 year old nephew and doing some yard work. I shouldn't say he got suckered, he's an amazing help! The host of the party, my sister-from-another-mister A's husband is away on duty and some landscaping was needed I'd say that's normal for a Navy wife whose husband is away... landscaping is typically neglected... heh heh. ewww. Sorry A.  I had the joy of tending to the birthday boy while my sister made cupcakes. He helped too! I am in awe of how much he's grown this year, yes, I realize he's an infant and a lot of changes occur in the first few years, but man! He's just an amazing kid already! Look! He's already a fan of the Beatles! He's gifted!

I loved my snuggles and giggles with little man Wy. The next day, Sunday, we partied it up big for the wee man. John Deere was the theme and boy, I think he owns nearly every single John Deere toy out there now! What a lucky and loved Kid! The party was packed with family that I have not seen in a year or so, so it was great to catch up with them and let them know I'm surviving out here. Wy had his fill of cake, snuggles and presents.
 

At the party I was happy to spend time with my 4 year old nephew Ty. He's my first 'little man'. We played on the trampoline boy did my bum muscles ache the next day. He's growing and changing so much too! Sometimes he forgets to call me 'Auntie Wawa' and uses my real name. For SHAME. I am the Wawa!

Exhausted, and Bear with a new cold, we flew home the next day. Weekends like that feel so surreal. Did they really happen? Was I just back on the island and opted to leave it again? Yes. I love my island but I'm also loving the space out in Saskatchewan. I'm currently looking out at the moon-rise and am thinking what a lovely place this is! I'd post a picture but my camera is absolute crap and the giant full moon will turn out to be a yellow dot in a navy-blue sky. 

The rest of September was so fast too. Just like that weekend. Gone! I'll post more about our activities, mainly our canning experiences...

xo

Comments