Homestead Sweet Homestead

Hello again!

I was requested to make a post to make a rustic wooden sign. I whipped it together today and it looks pretty good! I will warn you though, my tutorial isn't a pictorial step-by-step. I didn't think that through this afternoon.
Ah, yes, the Homestead.

To start, I rummaged through our burn pile in the yard. We like to have fires on warm summer nights and it gets rid of the brush and barn wood that our place is currently overrun with. I found a sturdy piece with little rot and holes.

I sanded the front surface just a little to get rid of any splinters and roughness that may interfere with my painting.

Now, you may be wondering How is her letting so nice? Well, I used my handy-dandy word processor. I have Microsoft Word for Mac. My settings were:
  • Paper/Page size Legal
  • Margins set at 0.5cm all around the document
  • Font: Goudy Old Style in BOLD
  • Font size for main lettering: 250 pt
  • Font size for small lettering: 150 pt
I played around with the font to find the one that suited the look I was going for best. I liked this one because the font is legible, clean, and isn't the dreaded Arial or Times New Roman I've typed so many reports and papers with.
I must note that with these settings the lettering will not fit on all pages in a logical order. Here's what it looked like:

I cut the paper accordingly so I could tack the paper to the wood reading "THE HOMESTEAD est. 2012".

Once the paper was tacked to the board--don't over think your positioning! I used a ballpoint pen to etch around each letter so it made an indent into the wood. I had to press fairly hard and ran over each edge multiple times to ensure I had a distinct enough line. Remove the tack and flip the paper back to check if your marks are showing up!

Lastly, I used an oil-based, flat finish, paint in black. It was the leftover paint from the kayak, actually.  I poured a small amount into a throw-away plastic container and used a grungy old paintbrush that was 0.5cm wide. I hate cleaning up oil paint so I sacrificed a few items today.

All you need to do now is paint within the lines! Make sure not the drag your hand, arm, or anything else through the paint cause that stuff will not remove easily.

That's it! Don't sweat over little imperfections. Remember: it's supposed to look weathered and rustic!

Have fun!
x




Comments