To everything turn, turn, turn.

Autumn is upon us.

The air is crisp cold, the combines are out, and the leaves are changing from luscious green to golden yellow and orange. A beautiful time of year. One last pop of colour until the 6 month blanket of snow or perpetual brown of winter I'm hoping for mostly brown with a touch of white. Nothing like last winter, please!

Along with the season change brings new changes at the Homestead! I managed to find a great job at a residential rehabilitation facility. I'm glad to be working in non-profit again, and to be away from Le Miserable. A fresh start is what I needed! But first...

Bear and I started September with a road trip to Victoria. I really enjoyed the drive out because I got to see my mountains from below, rather than above, like when we fly. The air is so fresh once you hit the Rockies. We drove so we could bring along our little pupski, Ryder. He's a great traveller--just sleeps away the day in the most hilarious positions.




















Our route over was along the Yellowhead highway/ Hwy 16. This took us through Jasper. We camped near Clearwater, BC on our way over, and boy was Ryder a happy puppy! The forest was his new best friend. So many sticks to carry and chew! A puppy's dream! Through Kamloops and the Fraser Valley, we jetted to the Tsawassan ferry terminal. There, I was reminded at how bloody expensive it is to leave or go to the island. Ugh.

In Victoria, a week blew by, starting off with seeing my beautiful cousin marry the man of her dreams. I had a great time catching up with family and showing off my slick dance moves. At one point I acquired a serving spatula and used it as a microphone. Clearly I need to get out more often.
I was thankful my folks took time off work to spend time with Bear and I. We went to the museum, ate at my most-missed public house, walked along the beach, had Beacon Hill ice cream if you're ever in Victoria, GO. Don't mess about with the flavour bursts, just get the Plain-Jane ice cream. mmmm. I was able to see a couple of friends, and I feel guilty for not seeing those I didn't get to, especially those on the mainland. You'd think one week is enough-- but it's not!

My siblings and I conspired a "surprise" 60th Birthday party for our dad. Like we could ever pull the wool over his eyes. It's his job to be observant and suspicious. He appreciated the gesture and it felt good to be there to sing him Happy Birthday with the family, rather than from afar. My sister tackled the grand plan and the food, my brother, the rouse to get dad away from the house for a few hours, and I was on decoration duty. I put together quite a lovely smattering of silver and black to match his hair decorations. I made tissue-paper pom-poms to hang from the ceiling as well as a banner. Please note I do not have a Cricut oh how easy the project would have been!

Dad's birthday banner


Overall we had a great time. Bear got to spend time with his brother too, and that makes me happy.


While in Victoria I got a job offer. I was thrilled, I was scared, and I really didn't want to have to call my manager. Two years and a lot of good times makes it hard to say goodbye. I'm terrible at them. I'd rather avoid them. But, looking on the bright side, I took it as an opportunity to build stronger friendships with my old coworkers and not let any work bureaucracy get in the way.
I gave my two weeks which in turn was really, I'm gonna come back from vacation, work 4 days, and be done. It almost made the transition easier from vacation to work since all I had to focus on was cleaning up loose ends and cleaning up work spaces. Woohoo.

Now here we are. I'm two weeks into the new job and I'd like to think I'm fitting in nicely. Everyone is great, the patients are wonderful to know and see their change is inspiring.

Bear has finished haying and we're now looking for buyers hint hint. Seems like now we're waiting for the s#!* to fall. I'm declaring s#!* as a cuss word. Yep. Right now. Bear has made great changes to the barn. He has torn out most of the shotty insulation and is replacing rotten wood from the walls. He even engineered a way to put up two massive I beams to support the structure using only his brain and the tractor. I'm glad I wasn't home to witness it, otherwise I would have made him stop! Our goal is to tin the walls and roof to preserve the structure even further. And, as much as I like the rolling barn door, it will eventually go to make way for a conventional garage door. This'll help keep the heat in for the kitties and make it easier to gain access in the winter. The old door iced up quite often and you'd have to chip away at the ice way up high to move the door. bang bang bang.

Fall colours at the Homestead

So, here I sit, waiting for the s#!* to fall. I really hope it doesn't. oh please, oh please, oh please do not snow anytime soon! We're heading to Bear's folks next weekend for Thanksgiving and after that, I better start making some Christmas cards! YIKES

Thanks for sticking around,
X

Comments