The beginning.

Ah! The inaugural post to my blog. I've been toying with the idea of making this blog for quite some time. The inspiration came to be shortly beforea trip to London and Ireland in May. I pondered on what I would write while trying to fall asleep in a smelly hostel room. Did I manage to write it all down? No. I was not that prepared.

A bit about myself: I grew up on the mainland of BC and have always been surrounded by farm country, but never was an active member. I moved to Vancouver Island at 10 and there I fell in love with the Pacific. Her deep blue colour, the roar of her waves and the sealife she holds is just amazing. Yes, I have personified the ocean... just like a pirate, D'arr. Since the big move at the age of 10 I've always been around the ocean, until now.

In my fourth year of university I fell in love with a boy, let's call him Bear, who came out from Saskatchewan to visit his brother, whom I was friends with. The courtship continued for two years by long distance and frequent visits in between. Due to Bear's line of work, it was decided that I would move out to the vast lands of the prairies after my convocation in 2011. Since my degree was in Anthropology I figured there would be a lot of work for me out here too. The idea seemed so great and I was really excited to finally see my dearest every day. I had obviously overlooked a few details, but I was ready to take the challenge. As the baby of the family my ties to family were pretty strong-- and tight. I cut loose, much to the chagrin of my mother, and made my way across two provinces.

Now I live outside a very small town that is about 30 minutes from a proper grocery store or gas station.  We live in a cozy house on 36 acres of land. Just me and him. We're both learning as we go, but he definitely has a leg up on this adventure: he grew up on a farm in Smalltown Saskatchewan. I'm pretty sure he gets a kick out of my rural cluelessness. We planted our garden a few weeks back and he handed me the hoe to dig rows. I just stared at him blankly and asked how to use it. That's how green I am out here!

My purpose for this blog is to chronicle my experiences out in new territory. Every day there is a new skill or bit of knowledge that is bestowed upon me (such as using a simple garden hoe. Stay tuned). I don't want you to think that I am some sort of Manolo-wearing priss to is afraid to get her pumps muddy. I can barely walk in heels. I guess my point is that I'm pretty down to earth, but this recent move has shown me I have so much more to learn and that I maybe am not as country as I once previously thought!

Comments