There's life in the garden!

I am happy to announce that not only am I growing viable weeds and rogue grass in my garden, but also yummy vegetables! woohoo! Currently we have rows of crisp lettuce, radishes (very potent!), carrots, and green onion (grunion). The radishes have been ready for a while now, and boy is the flavour strong! Well, some radishes are strong flavoured, others not so much. So, when make a salad its like tastebud Russian Roulette when taking a bite. Will it be tart, or will it be sweet?! Ack! Its a tart one!

The carrots smell so good. I happened to pull a few this evening to see how they were coming along. I good sacrifice I'd say. I don't expect the carrots to be grocery store sized, but what we have now is looking great! As I said before, the smell is amaaaaazing. Who doesn't love the smell of fresh carrot? Who?!

Spending all this time in the garden has been a little taxing on my knees. Did I mention I was 80? Knowing this, Bear gifted me this evening with a set of foamy kneepads. Thanks dear! Another bright idea of his was to put hay down between the rows to snuff out the weeds. It definitely has helped! Some tough buggers have punched through the hay, but a lot of the undesirables have been killed.
A few lessons I've learned so far:

  1. Plant your rows farther apart than what the seed package says. Its hard to get between the rows without squashing the neighbouring plants.
  2. Invest in a good bug spray, and pants that come over your hips so your butt and lower back aren't exposed to feasting mozzies. (Can't say this one enough!)
  3. Get good gloves that resist the prickles of the prickly-prickleson thistle weeds. 
  4. Knee pads! (again, thank's Bear!)
  5. Be prepared for grasshoppers to jump out of your lettuce. They'll getchya every time. 


Well, that's about it for now. I'm just loving the fact that I can grow real food! Next stop: harvesting something meaty!


Comments