Forever is an awfully long time.

Warning: this is a bit of a touchy-feely post.

This past weekend Bear and I went to a 'Cousins Campout', where I got to meet a lot of Bear's extended family. It was a short, but great weekend. He's got a pretty awesome family. One of the reasons for gathering was Bear's grandpa's 90th birthday. His GPa is looking pretty good for 90. After a few surgeries this past year, he's still going strong.

While chatting with GPa and GMa, I thought how wonderful it would be to make it to 90. To see the world change around you. To see your children grow up, and for your children's children to grow. In the last 90 years there have been devastating wars, huge developments in technology and science,  and an evolution of music from jazz and swing to pop-rock and dubstep (what is dubstep anyway?). That made me wonder what will happen in the next  65 years until I am 90: will we reach Mars? Will I see a world war? Will music get better? I guess I'll find out.

Another moment of awe during the conversation with GPa and GMa was the fact that they just celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. Sixty-five years! That's a really long time! I looked at Bear and thought Gee, just another 62 years to go! Bear and I aren't married yet... but I sure would like to go through the next 65 years, experiencing all of the changes of the world around us, by his side. If we had more time to spend, I would've asked them how they managed to not kill each other through those 65 years. I can imagine there were times of financial stress, problems with children, snoring, hormones, and bad habits that tested these two. I value their effort and success to hold their marriage together.

I find marriage is more of a commodity these days, rather than a commitment. Yes, I am guilty of wanting the 'perfect' wedding and have many ideas on my Pinterest page in preparation for the big day. Tick Tock. However, I have found in today's culture there is too much stress and focus on having the best colour scheme, decorations, and guest list, that I find the true meaning of marriage is lost (I'm looking at you, Kim Kardashian). For better or for worse, through thick and thin, 'til death do you part: Happily ever after. I do understand there are circumstances where separation is required, I'm not judging those situations-- there are exceptions to everything, but I do believe a successful marriage needs constant work and it won't always be fun. Easy enough for an un-married gal to say, hey?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I am thankful for coming from a family that honours the work and joy marriage brings. My parents are happily married for 36 years and they have bestowed upon their kids the same values they too received from their parents. I am lucky to see my cousins and friends make life commitments to their best friends through marriage-- and now see them start their own little families that will be raised in the same manner we were raised. It's a great thing to be apart of.

I am also thankful that Bear has grandparents and parents to look up to too. Perhaps I might get a commitment outta this guy after all ;).

xo


Comments