Cue Corb Lund

A few weekends back a friend of mine came out to visit from Edmonton. She too is a "Ocean to Prairie" gal and we've known each other since we were wee. Since we were 10 years old, I think.

I wanted to show my friend, K, the sweet new digs Bear and I had, so, we took Bear's truck out for a bit of a spin around the property. Bear jokingly warned us to not get stuck. ha! who get's stuck in their own field?
All was going pretty well as we bombed through the grassy fields until we hit a patch of thick grass (that I thought was just... thicker grass) and our momentum came to a standstill. Crap. I looked at K, and she at me. Crap. K climbed out of the cab to see what we were stuck in. Mud. Double Crap. K offered to push the truck while I tried to rev out of the rut.

She pushed from the tailgate of the truck, and I pushed the petal down. Rrrrrrrrrrr. Nothing. Rrrrrrrrrr. Nothing. Okay, this time with feeeeeeeling. Rrrrrrrrr. Nothing.  Crap. Crap. Crap!
After a few more attempts K came back into the cab. By this time I was ready to call Bear to have him bring the tractor and haul us out.

Then, suddenly, a stroke of genius hit K. "Let's put grass under the tires to see if that gives us enough traction." BRILLIANT! Thank goodness I have smart friends.

We both hopped out and piled the long, wet grass in front of the sinking tires. Once satisfied I hopped back in the truck and K took her position at the tailgate. I scrunched my face and pushed the petal down, hoping for a farmer miracle... the truck began to climb. Holy hannah its working! I kept going until I was sure the ground was solid-- unfortunately leaving K behind in the muddy spray.
I waited for her to catch up to the truck so we both could laugh off the experience. Once she climbed back into the truck I felt so bad! All up her legs were sprays of mud. Welcome to the Homestead, K!

I must say I'm thankful for good friends. Especially K, she's a brilliant and resourceful gal,  that's for sure!


You may be wondering about the title of this post: the song playing in my head through the entire fiasco? Truck Got Stuck by Corb Lund.

Comments