Get your (lawn)motor runnin'

I love mowing the lawn. Crap, I shouldn't say that out loud or Bear will definitely expect it from me all the time. Oh well.

We have a sweet 'Zero Turn' lawnmower. It goes like stink (read: fast), and it makes mowing 2 acres of grass quite easy... which is why I like it so much. eaaasy. I was mowing two nights ago, so proud because Bear is off galavanting on his motorcycle in Montana, and I let my mind wander when I'm out cutting the multitude of grass (and weeds). I was going around the perimeter of the 'front' lawn when I realized I was making all left turns. I then realized mowing my lawn is like... slower, grassier, solo-driver Nascar. Lefffft... lefffft... lefffffft... I was quite entertained with myself and thought of a hilarious blog post that I would soon post after mowing the lawn. Sorry, the hilarious blog post was soon forgotten because I started to mow down alongside the driveway.

Typically, mowing along one's driveway does not allow someone to forget anecdotes of hilarity as there usually is just gravel and grass to work around. However, I had forgotten that two night's previous, we had a lovely thundershower. So, although the grass was dry, the ground wasn't solid in some spots. Our driveway is kind of the high plateau between two shallow ditches. The slope down to the ditches vary thankfully. Here I am, motoring along the flat ground when the slope increases and I adjust my steering to accommodate for the new slant. One problem... my efforts are not working. I feel my back end slide. Oh dear... here we go again with the whole 'stuck in the muck' thing. I try to rev upwards towards the gravel driveway. Nope. Still sliding. So I tried to turn. Oh great, now I'm facing downwards towards the GIANT mud puddle. At this point I'm realizing that the traction on the lawnmower is poor, and that reverse is not powerful enough to back out of this situation. So I kill the motor... Maybe I can push the mower back up the hill? I get off of the mower and step onto the soft ground. Hnnnnrrrrrrrrrr. Nope. That thing ain't moving. Frig. I get stuck in the mud... again! Can I have two of the same rookie mistakes? I look to my left and see the ground isn't as wet and the slope up to the driveway isn't as steep. Maybe I can slowly budge towards the drier area and go back up to the gravel? It's worth a shot!  I inch forward, and to the right. Some slippage of my tail end. Inch forward and to the right again... not as much slippage. I inched forward very very slowly until I was confident of the traction. Phew! Success!

So, that's why I forgot my hilariously witty Nascar/Lawn mowing comparison post. I'm two for two in getting stuck and getting out. I'm just glad Bear wasn't home to watch the struggle!

xo

Comments